Under Section 75 of the Northern Ireland Act 1998, the Policing Board is required to have due regard to the need to promote equality of opportunity between:
- persons of different religious belief, political opinion, racial group, age, marital status or sexual orientation;
- men and women generally;
- persons with a disability and persons without; and
- persons with dependants and persons without.
The Board is also required to have regard to the promotion of good relations between people of different religious belief, political opinion or racial group.
The Board’s Equality Scheme (PDF 911 KB), which has been approved by the Equality Commission for Northern Ireland, sets out how we propose to fulfil the duties.
The Board is also required to:
- consult as an integral part of the policy making process;
- conduct and publish the results of Equality Impact Assessments;
- report annually to the Equality Commission on the progress made towards implementing the Section 75 duties - Annual Progress Reports.
For more information on our equality work, please select the appropriate links below:
|Current Equality Publications|