Complaints and Internal Dispute Resolution

Internal Dispute Resolution

If you are not satisfied with a decision by PSNI Pensions Branch (as Pensions Administrator) or the Board (as Scheme Manager and/or Injury Benefits Administrator) in the handling of your Pension or Injury on Duty Award you may raise it under the relevant Internal Dispute Resolution procedure below:


Examples of these decisions are:

The amount of pension you have received
Refusal or granting of an Injury on Duty Award
Not being allowed to transfer in or out of the scheme.

The Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure is a two stage process, with set time limits for response.

If after receipt of the response under Stage 2 you are still not satisfied, you can get advice from the Pension Advisory Service (TPAS) telephone number 0845 601 2923.

Alternatively, you may take your case to the Pensions Ombudsman who can consider complaints which relate to the administrative actions of PSNI Pensions Branch or the Board.

Pensions Ombudsman Service

11 Belgrave Road



Telephone: 020 7630 2200

Definition of Unacceptable Customer Behaviour

Written or verbal abuse, including those of a discriminatory nature such as:

  • Threatening behaviour
  • Intimidation
  • Serious or persistent harassment
  • Actual or attempted physical assault
  • Damage to property
  • Anything that causes staff to feel upset, threatened, frightened or physically at risk and is directed at them because of their work in the Board.

This also applies to incidents that take place outside the workplace, including nonworking hours, providing that it can be directly connected to staffs' work in the Board.

All of these are examples of unacceptable behaviour which will not be tolerated.

The Board is committed to providing a professional and transparent service in the administration of Ill-Health, Injury and Death Benefits. This includes assessments carried out by the Board’s Selected Medical Practitioners.

If you are dissatisfied with the Selected Medical Practitioner’s standard of service; treatment or attitude towards you; or their conduct during your assessment, you may raise a complaint through the Selected Medical Practitioner Complaint Policy (PDF 151 KB).